Most Recent Stories Top Stories India World Environment Science Education Business Editorial Special Events Lifestyle Entertainment Sports Cricket Astrology Tech Auto

---Advertisement---
RNI PRGI FREE Consulting

‘Huge victory for Jharkhand’: Student leader Mahto ends 16-day hunger strike after Soren govt accepts demands | India News

On: August 18, 2026 3:05 AM
Follow Us:
---Advertisement---


'Huge victory for Jharkhand': Student leader Mahto ends 16-day hunger strike after  Soren govt accepts demands
Student leader Mahto ended his fast in Ranchi in the presence of state ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari.

NEW DELHI: Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto on Monday late night ended his 16-day hunger strike after the Jharkhand government announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all examinations conducted by TDPL, calling the decision a “huge victory for Jharkhand”.Mahto ended his fast in Ranchi in the presence of state ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari. He thanked chief minister Hemant Soren, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, ministers and others who supported the students’ agitation.“Today marks the 16th day of the hunger strike; this struggle began on July 2nd,” Mahto said.He said the government had taken a “bold step” by cancelling the JSSC-CGL examination even though its recruitment process had reached the joining stage and some candidates had already secured appointments.“I thank the Jharkhand government for showing the courage to make such a significant decision, canceling an exam was a massive challenge,” he said.“Today marks a huge victory for Jharkhand. While I am now suspending my protest, my struggle for reform will continue,” Mahto added.He called for stringent reforms to prevent paper leaks and irregularities, saying every examination should be monitored and audited.“If this requires the Legislative Assembly to enact new laws or necessitates a constitutional amendment, then so be it. Every examination must be monitored, every examination must be audited, and there must be a clear certificate for every examination and at every stage; we will continue to struggle for this,” he said.“Consequently, we are announcing the suspension of our peaceful protest today. While we will continue to struggle for further reforms. I thank the Jharkhand government for showing the courage to make such a significant decision—canceling an exam was a massive challenge. It was not an easy call, given that the recruitment process for the JSSC CGL examination had already reached the joining stage and many students had likely already secured their positions. Yet, considering the critical situation, the government took this bold step for the students……” he added.Soren govt scraps JSSC-CGL, TDPL examsCM Hemant Soren said the decision was taken at a special Cabinet meeting after considering the concerns raised by the protesting students.“Today, we held a special Cabinet meeting to bring this matter to a conclusion. After considering all aspects and finding solutions to the issues, we have decided to cancel all examinations conducted by TDPL, the results published by TDPL, and the selection or participation of any candidates through TDPL. All activities undertaken by TDPL in this regard have also been cancelled,” Soren said.The government also decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examinations. Soren said the government viewed the protesting students as young people concerned about their future and promised greater transparency in recruitment reforms.“I do not consider these young people to be different groups. They are all concerned about their future. The government will move ahead with complete transparency on reforms,” he said.He said an existing standard operating procedure (SOP) should have prevented the alleged irregularities and promised further improvements based on suggestions from stakeholders.“There is already an SOP for conducting examinations, and if it had been followed, these irregularities would not have occurred. Nevertheless, further improvements will be made based on suggestions received,” Soren said.The government has also opened a portal for students, teachers and parents to submit suggestions on examination reforms.Govt announces more exam cancellations, probesJharkhand minister Dipika Pandey Singh said the government would also cancel the 14th JPSC examination and backlog examinations.She said the government would write to the Enforcement Directorate to investigate alleged financial misappropriation, while the CID probe would be monitored by the judiciary.Meanwhile, the Jharkhand CID began searches at the JSSC office in Ranchi as part of its investigation into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations. CID ADG Manoj Kaushik said the searches were being conducted in connection with the allegations.The state probe agency has so far arrested 20 people in the case, including former JPSC chairman L Khiangte.Three student leaders end hunger strikeMinister Irfan Ansari said Mahato, Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti voluntarily ended their hunger strike after the government accepted their demands.“Just now, Devendra Mahato, Umme Habiba, and Rahul Kranti voluntarily took the initiative to end their hunger strike. We facilitated the end of their hunger strike. We helped them break their fast by giving them juice,” Ansari said.He said the agitation had formally ended following efforts by Dipika Pandey Singh and Jairam Mahato.“The government has accepted all their demands; these were significant demands and a major issue. However, in the interest of the youth, our Chief Minister took such a historic decision,” Ansari said.He added that, “all three are healthy; there are no issues—their blood pressure and blood sugar levels are normal. From the information I have received, everything is fine.”Students seek withdrawal of casesStudent leader Umme Habiba said students wanted all legal action against protesters withdrawn and their right to peaceful protest respected.“Any legal action, whether an FIR or any proposed measure registered against the students should be withdrawn, and the right to peaceful, democratic protest must be respected,” she said.She also sought the reinstatement of suspended official Santosh Mastana and action to expedite the closure or withdrawal of CID Case No. 025.“I am struggling for the rights of Jharkhand’s candidates, a fair recruitment system, and the security of their future,” Habiba said.Rahul Gandhi backs studentsCongress leader Rahul Gandhi had earlier urged Soren to personally meet representatives of the protesting students and address their concerns. In a letter dated August 14, Rahul described the agitation as peaceful and the students’ demands as legitimate. He also backed their right to protest and said Congress stood with students raising concerns over paper leaks and irregularities in the recruitment system.

Share your thoughts in the comments